Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Don't you miss being a surgeon?


Hey, everyone wants to know after you retire if you don't miss seeing patients. You should have an answer ready before you contemplate retirement. Now that I don't take call anymore, I sleep in pajamas and not fully clothed in jeans and polo shirt. My husband thought my kids were weird because they all just climbed into bed in their daytime clothes. Now I can set a proper example for nighttime sleep attire.

I do miss my secretary and I admit to having spent the last two years of retirement painfully disorganized. My secretaries were all great over the years -- Liz, Sarah and Judy -- loyal, supportive, organized. Not having a secretary is what I miss the most. They told me where to be and when. They told me when I was behind. They were wonderfully compassionate to my patients. One even helped raise my youngest child. Once my secretary spoke so highly of me to the AAOS (American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons), they let me on the Professional Liability Committee. So when you retire, you need to plan for a post-secretary world.

My solution to the problem has been an iPhone. I am a late adopter of technology. I am sure those other brands of digital assistants would have required reading instructions and besides the keyboards were ridiculous. If I might make a suggestion, an iPhone would make a wonderful retirement gift for the orthopedic surgeon.

No comments: